Counseling FAQs

What is counseling?
Counseling is a process where a client meets with a trained helping professional to discuss a troubling aspect of their life that is impacting healthy functioning in other areas (school, work or play). There are a wide range of concerns which may lead students to seek counseling.

Some common concerns include but are not limited to:

  • Adjustment Difficulties
  • Anxiety
  • Body Image
  • Childhood or Adult Trauma
  • Depression
  • Disordered Eating
  • Eating Concerns
  • Familial Difficulties
  • Grief or Loss
  • Identity Concerns
  • Relationship Issues
  • Substance Abuse
  • Suicidal Thoughts
  • Transition to College

Some students are not sure what the problem might be—they just know they are having a hard time studying, concentrating, eating, sleeping, adjusting or getting along in general. A counselor can help a student sort out what’s wrong and suggest ways for them to get back on track.

What types of services are provided?
The Office of Counseling Services supports the academic, personal, and interpersonal development of Wingate University students by providing individual, group and crisis counseling. Outreach and educational presentations are offered to the campus community, psychiatric referrals may be made for medication evaluations, and consultation services are offered for faculty, staff, students and parents.

Who is eligible for counseling and how much does it cost?
Counseling services are free to all currently enrolled full-time undergraduates and graduate students of Wingate University. Consultation and referral services may be provided to alumni or faculty upon request.

How long and how often are the counseling sessions?
Counseling sessions are normally scheduled on a weekly or bi-weekly basis depending upon the nature of the concern. Sessions are typically 45-50 minutes long. Students will work with their counselor to determine a treatment plan and frequency to best meet their needs.

How do I schedule an appointment?
Appointments may be scheduled by calling the Office of Counseling Services at 704-233-8246. Students may also stop by the Counseling Services offices located in the Dickson-Palmer Student Center (DPC) adjacent to the Student Life Suite between the hours of 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday to make an appointment. If you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment, kindly give 24 hours notice.

How long does it take to get an appointment?
Every effort is made to get students in and seen for their initial appointment as quickly as possible.

What can I expect in my first appointment?
During your first appointment, there will be some brief paperwork to fill out so it is important to arrive on time. The purpose of the paperwork is to gather information about your demographics and clinical history. The information is used to help your counselor have a better understanding of your history and current concerns. You will also be asked to review the consent form which explains further details about our counseling services. Once you complete the paperwork, your counselor will discuss scheduling and plans for future success.

The purpose of the first session is for your counselor to gain an understanding about your current concerns, a history of the problem or other relevant issues and discuss your goals for seeking counseling services. If you choose to continue counseling service after the first session, you and your counselor will discuss scheduling and plans for future sessions.

Who will find out what I talk about in my counseling sessions?
NO ONE will know what you talk about in a counseling session without your written consent. Everything you say in counseling is kept confidential with only a few exceptions. The exceptions to confidentiality are:

  • If, in your counselor's opinion, you present an imminent threat of harm to yourself or others
  • If you disclose actual or possible child abuse or neglect
  • If we are ordered by a court of law to release information
  • If you are 17 years of age or younger or have been referred to counseling as a part of a university disciplinary or administrative matter, there may be further exceptions which your counselor will discuss with you.

Your counselor will explain the ethical limits of confidentiality during your first session, and can answer any additional questions you may have about confidentiality.

Are psychiatric services available?
No, but referrals for off-campus psychiatric services can be obtained from the Student Health Center or the Counseling Services office.

Why should I come to counseling and talk to a stranger about my problems?
The fact that a counselor is not a friend or family member actually makes it easier for them to help you. Unlike friends or family members whose advice is often colored by biases and preconceptions, counselors work to be non-judgmental and objective helpers.

What if I am concerned for another student?
Some helpful links are provided in the Self-Help section of our website. These may be helpful if you are concerned for another student.

What if I’m having a crisis after you've closed?
The counselor-on-call may be reached by calling the after-hours residence life staff member on duty at 704-233-8000. They will put you in touch with a counselor who will help assess and respond to your crisis or concern.